The Capuchin church in Klausen
The Capuchin monastery, the church, the Loreto chapel and the famous treasure were endowed by Queen Maria Anna from Spain. Church and monastery were built between 1699 and 1701.
The church is, in its simplicity, a fine example of the Order’s architecture. In a niche above the main portal the marble statue of St Felix of Cantalice rises, patron saint of the church, with two angels by his side carrying the insignia of the Spanish royal family.
The altarpieces of both main and side altar were created by Lombard painter and engraver Paolo Pagani (1655-1716), who was active at numerous European courts and is referred to as the “painter of the Spanish Queen” in various documents. Both works were completed in 1702. The main altar shows St Felix of Cantalice in the worship of the Child Jesus and the Virgin Mary who, according to Christian tradition, appeared to him for his generosity. This work is, in its entirety, one of the most magnificent examples of Pagani’s sophisticated technique.
The two side altars, showing the Holy Trinity and the Virgin Mary, St Anthony with angels and St Anne, St Mary and St Joachim, had originally been attributed to Carlo Cignani. Today, we know the first altarpiece was created by an unknown artist of assumingly local origin, while the second is by Lombard painter Stefano Maria Legnani (1661-1713). Legnani gives a brilliant example of the neo-classical Bolognese School and Roman influence, to classify stylistically between Cignani and Maratta. The same motif was slightly altered and used again by the artist in a painting displayed in the Santa Maria church of San Celso, Milan.